Taqreeb is an on-demand service for booking venues for events in multiple cities throughout Pakistan. Initially developed for tentative booking; however, there wasn’t much buy-in from the customers as one can make a tentative booking over a phone. Therefore, a new strategy was formulated to renew the objectives and vision for the product. It was decided that the application would enable the user to book venues for wedding/marriage events as well as for other events like seminars, and meetings.
Booking venues for a Desi wedding/marriage is a little lengthy and complex than booking a room in a hotel because wedding events involve decor, reception food, photographers, musicians, and sometimes wedding cars as well. Therefore, an application was needed that could easily provide all the aforementioned services to the user.
Design an application that would enable the user to easily book venues with all the necessary arrangements required for events as well as hire other services like photographers, musicians, and transport services (wedding cars) if needed. Pay for the services via credit card or Google Pay and receive notifications as arrangements are made.
As there isn’t any UX design process set in stone and also the fact that one doesn’t always have the luxury of time and resources to abide by each and every step of each and every process. Therefore, I had to make do with resources available. Below is the process that I used for this project:
Research & Analysis
I conducted a small survey in order to gather information about users and their requirements which would further aid in creation of personas, user stories and other artifacts. The survey provided sufficient data which was mostly quantitative as I didn’t have time or resources to interview some potential users. Based on the information gathered via the survey, it was concluded that most potential users will use the application especially for booking a venue in & from a different city. Since there is no direct competitor in the current local market, I had to resort to studying indirect competitors in the international market. I studied applications about booking hotel rooms, renting houses/apartments, reservations at restaurants etc. in order to get insights about the entire booking process, best UX practices, and design trends. The applications studied were Airbnb and Booking.com respectively.
I created personas to aid in the creation of use cases, and user stories which would further help in empathizing with the potential users of the application and to make sure I don’t digress from the main goal. I received multiple overlapping answers from the survey conducted, therefore, I created the following two personas:
After a brainstorming session between the stakeholders and myself, we created multiple user stories in order to create a mental model to make sure that the product is user-centered, goal-focused, and also to determine what feature is implemented at which stage and what should be implemented afterwards. We started off with Epics and then further broke them down to granular levels to make the stories more clearer and goal-specific.
Afterwards I created a sitemap to illustrate where each screen and functionalities that lie within will be used to create an efficient and focused experience for the users. Sitemaps also aid in the creation of wireframes and later on the high fidelity mock-ups.
By this stage, I had sufficient information to start exploring and transfer ideas onto the board. After brainstorming and multiple iterations, the following sketches were finalized to be converted into wireframes later on.
The finalized sketches of the application were converted into medium fidelity wireframes as per the requirements using Figma. The reason why the wireframes were created in medium fidelity was because it would be easier for users to comprehend them based on my previous experiences where during the testing of the low fidelity wireframes, the users were confused regarding the colors and other elements on the screen.
Based on the design of Taqreeb website and other similar booking applications, I created a mood board to get ideas and inspiration for the high fidelity mock-ups design. I took screenshots and download a few images from the internet.
Since I was the only one in the design department therefore, I had to assume the mantle of a UI designer as well and thus after making a few minor changes in the wireframes and having created a mood board, I started creating high fidelity mockups. Based on the feedback received about the first design draft, changes were made in the entire application to in order to introduce a few extra features and also to enable the users to fully book and pay for the venue via the application. Below is the final high fidelity design:
I created multiple iterations of prototypes to demonstrate what the application would look like after its development. Based on feedback, I made a few minor changes to the final prototype below:
The project didn’t go beyond prototyping phase because the application was put on an indefinite hold and then scrapped due to fact that the management had other plans. Therefore, I missed out on the testing phase; however, I still learned quite a lot about the on-demand applications due to the secondary and primary researches.